Outdoor Recreation Program Fellow Position Description
The Upstate Warrior Solution (UWS) Fellowship Program is a 6-month, service-oriented program for veterans. Fellows receive internal workforce development, soft skills development, professional mentorship, educational and professional development opportunities. Each fellow will be assigned a fellow sponsor who will provide guidance and monitor progress, attendance, and participation closely. Participants complete assigned responsibilities, such as assessments and tasks involving outreach, events, and speaking engagements.
The fellowship academy is designed to strengthen confidence and skills, leading to program graduation and a path to meaningful employment. While in the Fellowship Program, Fellows receive a monthly living stipend intended to offset any costs associated with their service to the community.
The Outdoor Recreation Fellow will primarily be responsible for oversight, planning, and development of outdoor recreation programs provided by Upstate Warrior Solution (UWS). This individual will play a critical role in collaborating with warriors to ensure that they and their families receive appropriate information and access to internal UWS programs that are focused on recreation. Additionally, this individual will have special projects and events throughout the year to attend and coordinate. This individual will have (1) an internal role building and maintaining best practices along with identifying new outdoor programs, (2) an external role in raising visibility about UWS Outdoor Recreation Program services in the community, and (3) identifying and building relationships with community partners. He/she works within the guidelines, policies, and mission of the organization, which could include assisting with programs, events, or projects that are not always directly related to the Outdoor Recreation Program.
- Represent UWS while in partnership with veteran-based organizations and during events to identify and support warriors in the Upstate.
- Educate and inspire members of our community to embrace transitioning warriors.
- Attend all Fellowship Program workshops and speaking engagements.
- Meet with mentors (BOD, Professional, and Emotional) during the course of the fellowship program.
- Meet monthly with Fellow Sponsor and the Fellowship Program Manager to complete a monthly evaluation.
- Participate actively in workforce development (25-hour req).
- Participate in professional development “Shadowing Program”.
- Provide a weekly presence at known veteran locations (i.e. VA Clinic).
- Establish and maintain contact with liaisons at colleges and universities.
- Participate in professional and technical skills development.
- Attend and participate in community activities, i.e. Rotary Club, UVAN, and UVBN.
- Plan, prepare, and execute speaking engagements as needed.
- Provide support and attend UWS/veteran outdoor activities and initiatives.
- Aid in the setup and coordination of fundraising events.
- Partner with other not-for-profit organizations/churches to reach upstate warriors.
- Build new relationships with potential business partners and become a force multiplier in community engagements.
- Fulfill any obligation or directive that is explicitly outlined by the Senior Fellow/Outreach Coordinator.
Instructions to Apply:
Thank you for your interest in continuing your service to your community through the Upstate Warrior Solution Fellowship Program.
The Fellowship Program application process is competitive and submission of this application does not guarantee an appointment. Please check our website and Facebook page for regular updates on Fellowship activities and openings.
Eligibility Requirements for Upstate Warrior Solution Fellows:
1. Fellows must have served in the United States Armed Forces and have been honorably discharged.
2.Fellows must submit to a criminal background and drug screening test. (Criminal backgrounds do not automatically exclude applicants from service. Prospective Fellows with questionable background will be evaluated on a case-by‐case basis.)
3. Fellows must be willing to commit to a 6-month period of service.
Before completing this application, please make sure you have these required documents, which must be attached:
1. One copy of your DD214
2. Your resume or CV
3. One letter of recommendation
4. Three references (one can be the same as the person who writes your letter of recommendation)