Anderson County Fellow Position Description
The Upstate Warrior Solution (UWS) Fellowship Program is a 9-month, service-oriented program for veterans and their spouses. Fellows receive internal workforce development, soft skills development, professional mentorship, educational and professional development opportunities. Each fellow will be assigned a fellow sponsor who will provide guidance and monitor progress, attendance, and participation closely. Participants complete assigned responsibilities, such as assessments and tasks involving outreach, events, and speaking engagements.
The fellowship academy is designed to strengthen confidence and skills, leading to program graduation and a path to meaningful employment. While in the Fellowship Program, Fellows receive a monthly living stipend intended to offset any costs associated with their service to the community.
- Represent UWS while in partnership with veteran-based organizations and during events to identify and support warriors in the Upstate.
- Educate and inspire members of our community to embrace transitioning warriors.
- Attend all Fellowship Program workshops and speaking engagements.
- Meet with mentors (BOD, Professional, and Emotional) during the course of the fellowship program.
- Meet monthly with Fellow Sponsor and the Fellowship Program Manager to complete a monthly evaluation.
- Participate actively in workforce development (25-hour req).
- Participate in professional development “Shadowing Program”.
- Provide a weekly presence at known veteran locations (i.e. VA Clinic).
- Establish and maintain contact with liaisons at colleges and universities.
- Participate in professional and technical skills development.
- Attend and participate in community activities, i.e. Rotary Club, UVAN, and UVBN.
- Plan, prepare, and execute speaking engagements as needed.
- Provide support and attend UWS/veteran outdoor activities and initiatives.
- Aid in the setup and coordination of fundraising events.
- Partner with other not-for-profit organizations/churches to reach upstate warriors.
- Build new relationships with potential business partners and become a force multiplier in community engagements.
- Fulfill any obligation or directive that is explicitly outlined by the Senior Fellow/Outreach Coordinator.
- Fellows serving in Anderson must live in Anderson County.
- Fellows must have served in the United States Armed Forces, must have an honorable discharge, or be the spouse of a veteran.
- Fellows must submit to a criminal background and drug-screening test. (Criminal backgrounds do not automatically exclude applicants from service.)
- Prospective Fellows with questionable background will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Preference is given to prospective Fellows with a VA disability rating of 30% or higher.
- Fellows must be capable and willing to commit to a 9-month period of service and a minimum required 100 hours per month.
- Ability to sit and stand for long periods.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Ability to work with a variety of stakeholders to bridge the disparate cultures of the military and civilian spheres.
- Ability to recognize sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and some weekend hours, with prior notice.
- Access to a vehicle, with the ability to work in the UWS office or as assigned.
Instructions to Apply:
- Download the Upstate Warrior Solution Fellowship Program Application
- Complete Application
- Complete the essay questions on a separate document
- Email both your completed application and separate essay question response document and to firstname.lastname@example.org. ** Subject of your email must include “Fellowship Application” and include the County for which you are applying.